About Lehigh Valley
Welcome to Lehigh Valley, a thriving region of Pennsylvania named after the Lehigh River that runs through the area. The Valley encompasses the counties of Carbon, Lehigh, Warren, and Northampton. Its major cities are Allentown, Easton, and Bethlehem, which comprise the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton metropolitan area.
Lehigh Valley is bestknown for being something of a bedroom community, given its proximity to large labor hubs like New York City, Philadelphia, and New Jersey. This accessibility – together with the lower cost of living, favorable business climate, and the regular influx of people – makes Lehigh Valley a very desirable place to live. In fact, it is the fastest growing region in the whole of Pennsylvania.
Convenience isn’t the area’s sole attraction. Retail, culinary, and entertainment options abound within the 730-square-mile sprawl. From arts and culture to the myriad shops and restaurants that line its city centers, Lehigh Valley is an exciting place to explore.
It’s part of the Great Appalachian Valley, an area that residents and visitors find within reach of the scenic, 2,000-plus-mile Appalachian National Scenic Trail. Lehigh Valley’s diverse landscapes andassortment of outdoor recreational options, whether it’s in the height of summer or the middle of winter, make it an enjoyable place to settle down in.
- The Valley is home to 10 colleges and universities, including Lehigh University, Lafayette College, Muhlenburg College and Penn State Lehigh Valley Campus.
- The Moravian Book Shop, located in historic Bethlehem, has been around since 1745 and is the oldest operating bookshop in the world.
- Lehigh Valley is flanked by two ridges:the Blue Mountain, which is part of the Appalachian range, to the north, and the South Mountain.
- The Valley is also famous for its vineyards, which occupy 290 acres. Blue Mountain Vineyards has won national and international awards.
- Among similar areas in the northeastern US, Lehigh Valley has lower taxes, more affordable real estate and labor, and a lower cost of living.