Easton PA Real Estate – Homes for Sale in Easton PA
Easton lies in the easternmost reaches of Lehigh Valley and serves as the seat of Northampton County. It has an estimated population of 23,000.
The city is divided into four main neighborhoods – Historic Downtown, the West Ward, College Hill, and the South Side. The boroughs of Wilson, West Easton, and Glendon are adjacent to the city, while Philadelphia is roughly 49 miles away.
During colonial times, Easton was known by the Lenape Indian name of “Lechanwitauk,” which means “theplace at the forks.” It was renamed Easton in honor of Easton-Neston in Northamptonshire, England, which was the home estate of Thomas Penn’s wife. Thomas Penn was the son of William Penn, the founder of the Province of Pennsylvania.
- The city is served by the Easton Area School District. Notable schools include Easton Area High School, which is famous for being involved in a long-standing athletic rivalry with Phillipsburg High School of Phillipsburg, New Jersey. Easton is also home to Notre Dame High School, a private Roman Catholic academic institution.
- Lafayette College has been an institution for more than 175 years. The liberal arts school calls itself “a national leader in graduation rates, undergraduate research, and graduate and mid-career salaries.”
- Easton’s historic attractions are the Easton Cemetery, Easton Public Library, and the Bachmann Tavern, the city’s oldest building, which has been visited by Benjamin Franklin and George Washington.
- The Crayola Factory, the National Canal Museum, and the State Theatre are all found within Easton, where there is also a wealth of dining and retail options.
- On July 8, 1776, a public reading of the Declaration of Independence took place in Easton’s The Great Square. It was one of only three public readings given. Now, the Square is a vibrant place that hosts art festivals and farmers markets.